Thursday, October 8, 2009

National Poetry Day!


Okay, people. This post will be an enlightening and educational (and possibly mind-numbingly boring) break from the normal BBWF fare. The list of things that I love include, but are certainly not limited to, BBW, great movies, great music, BBW, great food, and BBW. Did I mention BBW? Those are a few of my favorite things, and you will periodically-- whether you like it or not-- see those things interject themselves into the context of this wonderful blog.

As you may know, I love literature. It is a huge aspect of my existence in the non-virtual world, as it is currently how I make my living (hmmmm). I will always use this blog as a place to promote literacy, pointing my pervy followers to good books from various authors. No need to thank me, people. I am here to help.

So, as today is National Poetry Day, I have decided to give you a couple of examples of this celebrated art form. Below are two poems from British writer William Blake. My new virtual friend has recently reintroduced me to the work of this influential figure in literary history. So here are "Eternity" and "The Fly." Enjoy!

Special thanks to poemhunter.com.

Eternity

He who binds to himself a joy
Does the winged life destroy;
But he who kisses the joy as it flies
Lives in eternity's sun rise.


The Fly

Little Fly,
Thy summer's play
My thoughtless hand
Has brushed away.

Am not I
A fly like thee?
Or art not thou
A man like me?

For I dance
And drink, and sing,
Till some blind hand
Shall brush my wing.

If thought is life
And strength and breath
And the want
Of thought is death;

Then am I
A happy fly,
If I live,
Or if I die.


No comments:

Post a Comment